Thursday, January 6, 2011

From Flip - Flops to Personal Chef


He is probably going to “kill me” for this (and that’s fine-lol), but I have to bring this up. It is one of the most “random” memories I have of him during our college years at Livingstone and no matter how much I try to rid myself of the memory I just cannot. Antoine Smith, and I shared the same major (Business), so not surprisingly we had quite a few classes together….But one of the things I will never forget (I do not understand WHY), was him coming to class wearing sweat pants, a t-shirt and those infamous flip- flops and socks (lol).   I know its random lol, but hey it’s “My Memory”! But being more serious now…. On the outside he was one the most amazingly sweet, cool, and laid back guys that I met while in college……and for some reason he was someone who always stuck out to me. Maybe it was his personality, maybe I saw  something “special” in him that I could not grasp, or maybe it was just those darn flip-flops and socks that grabbed my attention lol….but for what it’s worth he is one person that I can say I’m extremely  proud of. 


After graduation from Livingstone College, Antoine found his calling. It was one day in 2007, after he read the book “Cooked”, by Chef Jeff Henderson that he knew what he wanted to do in life. He decided to further his education by enrolling into Johnson & Wales University to become a Certified Chef. Since then, Chef Smith has done a superb job at catering many private parties, and events that it has led him to earning “a name” in our home state of North Carolina. As his passion grew he accepted an internship offer at the world renowned Ritz Carlton in New Orleans, LA, where he learned the art of cooking Creole dishes. The Ritz Carlton extravagant menu choice (Classical French, Caribbean, Asian and American cuisine), coupled with the opportunity to work alongside Executive Chef Matt Murphy, has given Chef Smith the ability to cultivate his craft. 

Let me add that from the personal reports I have received, Chef Smith is a force to be reckoned with in the “Culinary World”.  They say “the man gets down in the kitchen”!!  I’m personally looking forward to seeing him do even greater things in the New Year. Keep Thriving Chef Smith…The Best is Yet to Come.

Currently he works as a Personal based out of New Orleans however; he does travel upon request.


You can contact Chef Smith to cater your next big event at chefa.smith@yahoo.com.


Try one of his Recipes: Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
(Suggested side dishes are Southwestern Rice & Garlic Asparagus)
Ingredients:
  • ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 4 tilapia fillets (about 1 pound total)
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a shallow dish, combine the cheese with the paprika and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the fish with olive oil or you can soak them in an egg wash (a beaten egg and water) and dredge in the cheese mixture. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until the fish is opaque in the thickest part, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the fish with the lemon wedges.


No comments:

Post a Comment